Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Multitasking

This week we talked about multitasking. As we started discussing it in our groups I realized that all I do is multitask all day long until I get home. During my day at work I could be doing all of these at once. Teaching a lesson while scanning the class, taking a note out of a students hand, writing on the white board, and passing out papers. Well, this might be a slight exaggeration but it's pretty close. I feel like if I couldn't multitask then I couldn't be a teacher. What I thought was multitasking was actually switch tasking. My brain is just switching quickly between each task. I'm constantly watching 24 kids in my class at a time and sometimes half of them are lined up in front of me trying to get my attention to ask me a question. I didn't realize how bad multitasking can be for you. Here I thought I was making my brain stronger but really I'm just causing myself not to retain anything that I've done. Now I can understand why I can't ever remember anything. I thought it was just my memory and I was getting old but I'm pretty sure it's because I'm always trying to do a million things at once. I'm definitely going to start taking more time on single activities and put more energy and focus into one task instead of half the energy and focus into 5 tasks. Here's a video I found that talks about how you can only multitask in one way. 





No comments:

Post a Comment